[PLUG] CUPS "client-error-forbidden"

Mark lemming at attbi.com
Tue Oct 29 20:21:30 UTC 2002

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2002, Eric Jahn wrote:
>

>>hmmm...I've got the same permissions.  I'm suspicious it's a CUPS new
>>version thing...
>

>   May well be. With a couple of applications, openoffice's Writer in
> particular, I can no longer put paper in the manual feed tray and have it
> selected over the main tray without changing the printer definition each
> time. That's a new CUPS "feature" that I don't particularly like.

I just went through a major hassle with setting up CUPS supporting a
HP Deskjet 5550.  I went through the instructions at hp.com for setting
it up.  It mostly involved packages from sourceforge.net.

Once I followed everything, it worked.  Before dealing with that, I had
several problems with client errors as well.  I also had to hand edit
/etc/cups/printers.conf and /etc/cups/cupsd.conf for optimal results.

Check your Allow,Deny settings.

On the paper feed, no idea I'm afraid.

The hassle with the printer was worth it.  Awesome photo printing.

-Mark