[PLUG] Solaris and Decent Authentication

Kaile Riser kaile at centerspan.com
Tue Oct 29 23:31:40 UTC 2002

Hello,

I have been searching fervently to try and find some sort of solution
that allows Solaris (7 and 8, though 8 is more important) to
authenticate with MD5 (like linux, freebsd, etc...) instead of DES like
it currently uses. I am failing. I was hoping someone on this list could
help me.

Having 8 significant chars in passwords is irritating. Beyond that, I am
going to be implementing NIS (and later LDAP) soon for authentication,
and I would MUCH prefer to use MD5 across the board rather than DES. Is
there a patch, pam update, pam module, etc... that can do what I'm
looking for, or am I SOL?

I know that you can use whatever auth scheme you want for LDAP, but I
was looking for a near term solution for the NIS deployment.

Anyone have any info on this subject? I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks,

Kaile