[PLUG] disk space by user

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Oct 30 01:11:01 UTC 2002

I tried to send a followup from a different account (where I could
attach some code inline) but forgot that the message would be blocked at
the moderator.  hint hint... :-)

Anyway, this is a much harder problem than you might first think.  The
sample script counts any symlinks against the user, probably not
something you want to do.  It's easy to add -type f to the find, but
what about hard links?  Sparse files?

You probably also want to collect other statistics.  Do users have an
unusual number of directories?  Symlinks?  Do they have any special
files, sockets, devices?  What about SUID or SGID files?

Bear