[PLUG] Quick Printing Question

Brian & Lori Nordlund bl.nordlund at verizon.net
Thu Oct 31 03:09:33 UTC 2002

I have never been able to get printing to work.  However, I have only been doing SMB / file server and ipchains up until now so it hasn't been an issue.  Now I am trying to get a printer to work (Laserjet IIp Plus) so I have been digging into it and have come up short.  I am running mandrake 7.2.

I used printtool to try to get things set up.  When it didn't work, I tried to use linuxconf but still have not seen it work.  Whip me now, I know I shouldn't have tried the easy way out, but here I am.

My spool directory is lpd/lp0.  The printer is connected to dev/lp0.  However, if I try to print something with "lpr file.txt", it responds with "lpr: lp: unknown printer".  Shouldn't it be trying to print to the default printer specified in printcap?  As far as I know, my printer is named "Laserjet IIp"

Here is my etc/printcap:
# /etc/printcap
#
# This file was generated by Linuxconf's Printer module
# You may edit this file directly, but only standard printcap entries
# will be preserved.

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet2p 300x300 letter {} LaserJet2p Default {}
Laserjet IIp:\
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\
        :lp=/dev/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :sh:

dev/lp0 is a valid device:

[root at dovreguben /etc]# tunelp /dev/lp0
/dev/lp0 using IRQ -1

When I try lpc status, here is what I see:

lpc> status
Laserjet IIp:
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        no daemon present

Does anyone have any ideas of where to look?  It seems like I am close but just missing something.
Thanks,
Brian.