[PLUG] cannot receive mail locally

Greg Long plug at maneuveringspeed.com
Thu Oct 31 21:29:10 UTC 2002

...even from another user on the same domain.

If you followed the "Changing hardware but keeping system intact"
thread, I should start off with saying I was successfully able to copy
all over to the new hard drive, and then reinstall Redhat 7.2 on the
existing system (install, not an upgrade, all packages, formatting only
the /boot and /swap partitions).

I had to modify /etc/sysconfig/network HOSTNAME setting from
localhost.localdomain to eagle.maneuveringspeed.com.  I rebooted (easier
than stopping and restarting individual services).

All users appear present and accounted for, I can su with ease, and
Apache, the mailman interface, vncserver, and basically everything works
as far as I can tell with the exception of mail:

local users cannot receive anything - even from local users.  Mail sends
just fine to other domains.  Thinking it might be a postfix problem, I
tried the fix posted earlier today in the PLUG mailing list.  Still no
go.  I su'ed to one user, and sent mail to another user on the same
system with PINE.  Still no go.  Mail sent from other domains bounces.
Root seems to wind up with the bounces sent from local users (see below)

To further explain:  "postfixer" is a user account I used for the
postfix mailing list.  It's not created by postfix or anything else.  I
run mail through spamassassin and anomy sanitizer.  Since mail runs
through these excellent tools and out to other domains, it seems quite
unlikely they are the culprit.  I *am* wondering where
"filter at localhost" comes from since I modified the hostname as mentioned
above.

I am, of course, running on the original maneuveringspeed box now.

Suggestions?  When this is all done, I'll draw up some formal document
and add this to the knowledge base!

---Greg

	The original message was received at Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:10:32
-0800
from filter at localhost

greg at maneuveringspeed.com
    (reason: 554 5.4.6 Too many hops)