[PLUG] Reinstall

lemming at attbi.com lemming at attbi.com
Thu Oct 31 21:40:11 UTC 2002

> Hello all. I've reinstalled my RH 7.3 system as ;
>
> /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda7 on /data1 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda6 on /data2 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda5 on /data3 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hdb1 on /data4 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda9 on /home type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda10 on /tmp type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda8 on /usr type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/hda11 on /var type ext3 (rw)

> and when I did I left hda3 unformatted thinking I'd
> save all data on that partition. I used the
> same /user , same passwd, but RH wouldn't let
> me into that user. I made a new user but I'd like
> to find out if my old stuff is still sitting
> there. I How do I access hda3,
> which is supposedly not formatted.

I slightly editted.

The reason the password was changed is because an
install will overwrite older files.  Formatting just
means formatting the partition.  If your user had the
usual place for their data, it would be in /dev/hda9
or /home.  If you formatted that, then the data is gone.
(well, except for expensive disk recovery services)