[PLUG] cdrecord howto

Rick Konold cccs at teleport.com
Sun Sep 1 07:32:43 UTC 2002

I am not sure how to proceed here, and I only have 10 CDR disks to play with,
so any help appreciated.  I am learning to burn cd's from distro cd's and
have done all of the RTFM I could find, including man and howto's at
linuxdocs.  What I could not find was a howto that actually describes how you
copy and burn a cd from an existing distro cd.

I did cp -r /mnt/cdrom redhat7.3-1.iso from the first disk, and that copied
it to a directory called redhat7.3-1.iso, but note I have NOT run mkisofs on
that directory.  Should I? or is it already an iso as copied?  Also, since it
is a bootable cdrom, do I need to add that option to cdrecord, or can I skip
that, since the file system already has an autorun file on it?

I have backed up data to cd's, and burned disks from iso's, but this is the
first time I have tried to copy from distro cd's, and I am not sure how that
is different.  I haven't enough coaster material to experiment, so any help
would be appreciated.

Rick Konold ~~ Linux Advocate