[PLUG] cdrecord howto

Rick Konold cccs at teleport.com
Sun Sep 1 10:52:09 UTC 2002

On Sunday 01 September 2002 02:51, you hammered the keyboard to write:
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Rick Konold wrote:
> > I did cp -r /mnt/cdrom redhat7.3-1.iso from the first disk, and that
> > copied it to a directory called redhat7.3-1.iso, but note I have NOT
> > run mkisofs on that directory.  Should I? or is it already an iso as
> > copied?
>
> Don't mount the CD.  Just dump the image off the disk
> $ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/disk_image bs=2048

I didn't think I was mounting the cd with cp -r, I thought it just copied the
files in the same manner you indicate with dd.  But, as I think about it, I
guess the fs has to be mounted to use cp.  Redhat 7.2 does automount when the
cd is inserted, so I guess I have to umount it to use dd.  cp -r did seem to
dump all the files into the directory.  Is there a difference in what I would
get from cp as compared to dd?  wouldn't the block size copied from a distro
cd already be correct (2048)? [just wondering if it is necessary to tell dd
what bs, or if it would just copy as is without that specification]

> Then you can burn the image with cdrecord:
> $ cdrecord -v speed=8 dev=0,0,0 -data /path/to/disk_image

Hmmm more of that conflicting advise stuff.  I was told I did not need to use
the -data, and the man page seemed to confirm that when I read that it was
the default if no other flag.  But you and the howto's always seem to include
the -data.  I guess I should also, just to be sure.

> Of course, the speed and the device ID may vary.

Yep, dev=1,0,0  , and the speed is another question.  I see posts
recommending using a lower speed than the burner's max.  Is that just for
audio or would it be recommended for data as well.  I was making about 20%
coasters at Free Geek the other day, doing iso's at the max 4x, burning
knoppix.

> > Also, since it is a bootable cdrom, do I need to add that option to
> > cdrecord, or can I skip that, since the file system already has an
> > autorun file on it?
>
> Autorun files are for Windows.  The boot block should be part of the disk
> image, no?

boot.cat (unknown file type, per nautilus) is there, perhaps that is it.

I think I will have to get some more cdr disks tomorrow so I can experiment a
little more.  I have a removable drive downstairs I can try installing on, to
verify they work.

> J.

The Free Geek Store wants to make disks available, so I need to spend some
time burning copies here in my spare time.  The burner they have is slow
(about 25min per disk), and I can't hang around to baby sit it.  Anyone want
to donate something faster than the 4x they have down there? [donations are
tax deductible]

Rick Konold ~~ Linux Advocate