[PLUG] New Linux Install

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Sep 1 22:29:17 UTC 2002

On 1 Sep 2002, Robbert van Andel wrote:
> I'm thinking it's a compatibility issue with my NIC and will look into
> getting another one.  Thanks for all the help.

On what are you basing that conclusion?

You're able to configure the device, which means that the module is
compatibility problem (not 100%, but it's a good start).

You haven't mentioned anything about the link lights, the far end
equipment, or the cable.  All of those things could be a factor.

Sure, "it worked in Windows", but when was the last time?  And what has
changed since?  Did you move the machine?

You haven't really given a complete report on the configuration including
what tools and command lines you're using to change the settings.

I think it's rash to claim some kind of compatibility problem.

This isn't Windows.  The software is flexible enough to allow for all
kinds of configurations that won't work in your environment.  Blaming
hardware or "compatibility issues" is almost always a cop out, usually one
foisted on us by the software vendors who have a vested interest in making
you believe that the software is totally usable and bug-free and that your
hardware is the problem.

I truly believe that if you walk through this problem systematically,
you'll get the system working with no changes to the hardware inside the
box.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin