[PLUG] Debian question, running pump on boot

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Mon Sep 2 17:29:27 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 06:14, Vincent Damewood wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I have recently installed debian on my system, and I
> have a few problems. I belive I can handle most of
> them, but I can't figure out one of them, due to the
> fact that the docs are a total labrynth.
>
> I have a DSL connection using DHCP. I have pretty much
> figured out how to set it up, except that I need to
> run pump to get the thing started. I've been running
> it manually until now, but I need it to run when I
> boot my computer. Which script would I edit, and where
> in the script would be the best place to put it?

I may not understand what you are asking, but I will try.  Under debian,
you define your network interfaces in "/etc/network/interfaces".  To get
debian to use dhcp to get the address you use a line like

"iface eth0 inet dhcp"

check "man interfaces"

--
Brian Beattie            | Having had the honor of being selected
beattie at beattie-home.net | for a Resource Action by my former employer,
                         | it is my pleasure to announce my immediate
www.beattie-home.net     | availability, contract or permanent.
Embedded Systems, Linux/Unix internals Software Engineer