[PLUG] Debian question, running pump on boot

Anthony Schlemmer aschlemm at attbi.com
Mon Sep 2 17:36:26 UTC 2002

I setup my own Sys V init script that runs "dhcpcd" for me for my cable
modem service. If "dhcpcd" is successful and gets an IP address from
AT&T it then runs my firewall script so my system is protected. Since
my DHCP client system is used as a network gateway/firewall I also have
the script enabling IP forwarding and spoof protection.

I don't care for the BSD-style as it's a bit simplistic with all of the
local customizations in a single file. The Sys V init setup is more
flexible as it's just a matter of setting a few symbolic links to the
init script in the proper runlevel directory.

I haven't seen a BSD-style init setup in Linux since I used Slackware. I
do have one OpenBSD system that I'm working on but so far my local init
setup is quite simple.

Tony

--
Anthony Schlemmer