[PLUG] Debian Power Down doesn't

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Tue Sep 3 17:49:24 UTC 2002

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Jeme A Brelin wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> > Many programs look for kernel headers in /usr/src/linux, so when you compile
> > things it is always a good idea to have the source tree for your
> > _current_ kernel in /usr/src/linux.
> >
> > What I do is this (once the kernel is downladed)
> >
> > 1) su to root,
> > 2) cd /usr/src
> > 3) if there exists a linux directory, move it.
> > 4) tar Ixvf /path_to_downloaded_kernel/linux-...tar.bz2

with some versions of tar replace I with j, or use
bzip2 -cd /path_to_downloaded_kernel/linux-...tar.bz2 | tar xvf -

That tip is just meant as an FYI for newbies.

> You should always always always make sure that the versions of the kernel
> headers you are using are the same ones that were used to build your
> version of libc... even if that is not the same as the kernel version
> you're running.

Is it safe to not touch them?  I never realized that a person vould
want to change /usr/include/linux.  Is this going to hurt me if I have
never changed them, since a 2.2 kernel?  And is there an easy way to
check what version is in /usr/include/linux? (I don't have a linux
system infront of me), can you just open one of the files and see the
version in the header?  Is there a way to query glibc to find out what
version of the kernel it was compiled against?

Thanks,
Jason