[PLUG] Debian Power Down doesn't - Resolved

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Wed Sep 4 19:04:00 UTC 2002

"Karl M. Hegbloom" wrote:

> > Avatar:~# modprobe apm
> > modprobe: Can't locate module apm
>
> Ok, it's probably built into the kernel already.  Boot with "apm=on"
> once and try again.  If that does not work, rebuild or install a stock
> 2.4.18 kernel.

I watched for a reference to apm in the messages scrolling up the
screen during boot. I saw:

apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0X03 (Driver version 1.13)
apm disabled on user request

After a bit of man page reading and google searching, I learned that I
needed to edit lilo.conf, uncomment the append="" line and stick apm=on
inside those quotes, and also to run lilo before rebooting.

During the reboot, I saw only one apm message:

apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0X03 (Driver version 1.13)

Sure enough, the system powers down, now.

Thanks for the hint, Karl, and also for not giving me the whole answer.
I learned a few other things about lilo in the process.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"