[PLUG] Quirky Mouse

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Wed Sep 4 23:14:45 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Richard Steffens wrote:

> Rogan Creswick wrote:
>
> > Have you tried it with gpm disabled?
> > /etc/init.d/gpm stop
> > will stop gpm, then restart X and see if that helps.
>
> I'm going to get a new keyboard tomorrow, one that will let me switch
> between virtual consoles. Then, I'll give that a try.
>
> > I've also found that controlling the mouse behavior through X directly,
> > rather than through a WM is more reliable.
>
> What do I have to change to do that? I assume it's a configuration file
> entry somewhere. Which one, and what should I be reading for background
> so I understand what I'm doing?

I think this depends on which one you are using.  To test the X
drivers, you could create the file ~/.xsession (or is it ~/.xinit, i
usually create one and make it a symlink to the other), with just one
line that says xterm.  Then type startx, you should get a gray lined
background and a single xterm window.  Hit ctrl+alt+backspace to
exit. If your mouse works better than normal when you do that, then
your WM is conflicting with the X driver.  Then we need to know which
WM you are using.  Is it Gnome, KDE, enlightenment, there are many
choices.

HTH,
Jason