[PLUG] NTFS stripped RAID-0 and Linux?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Thu Sep 5 20:41:20 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 13:22, Jason Dagit wrote:

> What about having linux put it's filesystem on top on NTFS.  I know
> slackware could do this back in the days of win95 because that was the
> way I installed it....ah my first linux install...those were the days
> :)

I don't think you can put a filesystem in NTFS and have it work very
well.

I think you're thinking of ZipSlack/BigSlack, which were just regular
ol' Linux, made to install easily onto a UMSDOS system.  UMSDOS is just,
essentially, an interesting extention to the FAT filesystem which
allowed Linux-style permissions with the use of extra files in each
directory.

UMSDOS wouldn't work with NTFS.

You could, I suppose, create a loopback filesystem on the NTFS
partition, but you'd be asking for trouble.  It would probably be a wee
bit on the slow side, and likely unstable... Linux's ability to write to
NTFS was still 'experimental' or 'dangerous' last I looked.

--
Rob
 "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose