[PLUG] Fwd: gphoto2 error

Christopher E. Brown cbrown at woods.net
Thu Sep 5 21:33:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Anthony Schlemmer wrote:

> This is not so in some cases. I access my Kodak DX4900 directly using
> "gphoto2" without using the USBdevfs support. I have found that KDE
> incorrectly assumes that all digital cameras require the usbdevfs
> through a "kioslave" for digital camera access and I get I/O errors
> because of it. It is true that some cameras are accessed through a USB
> filesystem but there are quite a few cameras that aren't as well. I
> believe in the case of a camera that is mounted using the USBdevfs that
> there is no need to use "gphoto2" at all since I assume the pictures
> would be accessed like any other mounted filesystem Linux supports
> using common file utilities like "ls", and "cp" to list and copy the
> files from the camera to another location.
>
> You are correct about the use of the "hotplug" service so permissions
> can be set to allow non-root users access to a digital camera.

No, usbdevfs is like devfs.  It *DOES NOT* provide access to the
cameras filesystem.  What it does is create block/char devices
automagicly based on the bus/device id.  usbdevfs is *required* for
every USB interfaced camera I have worked with, though I understand a
few don't use the default interface (direct camera specific module
instead of the generic one).  Of course serial, parallel and SCSI
cameras do not require usbdevfs devices.

I think you are thinking of camera filesystem access via a CardFlash
or CompactFlash reader.  These allow you to mount the filesystem on
the flash directly.

 --
I route, therefore you are.