[PLUG] Network card problem

josh zeckser josh at barkingcorndog.homelinux.org
Thu Sep 5 23:17:13 UTC 2002

Hello everyone!

    I have recently changed my system from Red Hat 7.3 to Debian Woody. After installing Debian, I can't seem to figure out the problem with the network card. I can't give you the ifconfig info right now, since I'm sending this mail from work and don't have access to my machine right now. Here's the info I have:
Card: Netgear FA312
Driver: natsemi
        Everything I saw online regarding this card said to use this driver. Also, that's the one that kudzu chose for me.
I have the interface configured with:
IP: 192.168.0.5
gateway: 192.168.0.1
netmask: 255.255.255.0
network: 192.168.0.0
my /etc/network/interfaces file is identical to another machine on my network (except for the ip address, of course), also running Debian, which works just fine.
When I try to ping anything on the network (gateway, mail server, my wife's machine, laptop), I don't get anything at all. No 'network unreachable', etc. It just sits there until I ctrl-c, then it tells me how many packets were sent, 100%failure, etc.
ifconfig shows all of the info correctly, so I can see that it's configured.
Here's where the problem gets interesting: none of the lights do anything on my card at all. at all. Nothing when I'm trying to ping, nothing when I boot, nothing when it's just sitting there. I tried removing and re-inserting the card, but still nothing. It worked just fine under Red Hat a couple of days ago. I really don't want to reinstall Red Hat just to see if the card still works. Any ideas on where to look next?

Thanks,
Josh Zeckser