[PLUG] Network card problem

josh zeckser josh at barkingcorndog.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 6 00:02:40 UTC 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Derek Loree" <derek at infotects.com>
To: <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
Sent: Thursday, 05 September, 2002 4:50 pm
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Network card problem

> Hi Josh,
>
> On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 16:17, josh zeckser wrote:

> > Card: Netgear FA312
>
> I've heard of lots of problems with these cards.
>
> > Driver: natsemi
>
> Is this with the 2.4.18 kernel?

Yes, kernel is 2.4.18. I've been using the card for quite some time and
never had problems before.

> >         Everything I saw online regarding this card said to use this
driver. Also, that's the one that kudzu chose for me.

> Did you try pinging itself with the 192.168.0.5 address?  Does ifdown
> and ifup work?

Pinging itself works fine. ifdown and ifup both work.

>do a complete
> power cycle, not just a reboot, but power down, wait 30 seconds, then
> power up.  Remember, nothing is going to happen if you don't have a link
> light on both ends.
>
> If none of this works, we'll need more juicy details.

I have done complete power cycles. The link doesn't have lights on either
end, though I'm using the same cable and same port on the hub that I was
using a couple of days ago with Red Hat. I'll try some more stuff and if
they don't work, I'll have lots of juicy details sometime around midnight.

Josh