Fwd: Re: [PLUG] Debian Power Down doesn't

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at hegbloom.net
Fri Sep 6 19:23:08 UTC 2002

Sean Whitney <sean at fork.com> writes:

> Yes but I should have said
>

> cp /boot/config /usr/src/linux/.config

On a Debian GNU/Linux system, it will be named:

 "/boot/config-$(uname -r)"

The Debian packaged kernel source is always renamed also, so that when
you unpack it, it creates:

 "kernel-source-$VERSION.$PATCHLEVEL.$SUBLEVEL/"

... rather than "linux/".  Has anyone ever untarred a new kernel
source right over the top of the old, by mistake?  The linux headers
that software is compiled against are shipped with libc-dev, NOT
symlinked to "/usr/src/linux/include".  If there was need to have that
symlink, that would imply that the software has a tight dependancy on
the particular kernel version it was built against.  This implies that
upgrading the kernel requires rebuilding that software.  There are few
programs for which this is actually true, and that is certainly by
design.  (iptables is one, IF you have applied any of the POM patches)

> The dot in .config is significant.  Anyone know why this file is
> .config and not config?????

"ls" hides files whos names begin with "." by default, unless you
specify the "-a" switch.  Whoever named that file thought it should
normally be "hidden".

--
As any limb well and duly exercised, grows stronger,
the nerves of the body are corroborated thereby. --I. Watts.  .''`.