[PLUG] Cups Printing Sharing

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Sat Sep 7 16:06:56 UTC 2002

rplummer at wvi.com wrote:
> Does anyone have printer sharing working between a Linux box and  Win98
> using CUPS and Samba.
--snip--
> I would like a sample of your smb.conf file and any changes necessary
> to any CUPS conf files.

--- /etc/samba/smb.conf ---

[global]
--snip--
         printing = cups
         printcap name = /etc/printcap

[printers]
         path = /tmp
         guest ok = Yes
         printable = Yes
         browseable = no
         create mode = 0700

This is all that is printer-related in my smb.conf, though I believe the
printcap reference is superfluous w/ CUPS.

My cupsd.conf is near stock, as it should listen on localhost by default.

One thing that was faily maddening was that PCL Windows drivers for the
printers wouldn't work until the "application/octet-stream" lines were
uncommented in both /etc/cups/mime.convs and /etc/cups/mime.types.

Cheers,

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District