[PLUG] Configuring GRUB

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 7 16:40:16 UTC 2002

On 7 Sep 2002, Russell Senior wrote:

> Just to clarify, I do not think GRUB made that assumption.  I think RH's
> packaging of GRUB made that assumption.  When I installed GRUB (both on
> Debian and from source) I didn't find it making any assumptions.  I wrote
> the menu.lst file by hand, which wasn't too difficult with 30 minutes of
> reading about how GRUB works and some experimenting from the very handy
> interactive CLI that GRUB provides. So please do _not_ fault GRUB for the
> sins of the packager.

  Until this message, the only references to GRUB were with regard to Red
Hat. I'd no idea that this was a universal replacement for LILO. I thought
it was a Red Hat tool.

  I will note that there is a _lot_ to be desired in the 7.3 installer from
Red Hat. It wouldn't read cd's properly and we had to disconnect the SCSI
cables from the cd-rw and tape drive before it would read "official" cds I
ended up buying. This was also the first major version upgrade in the three
I've done that wouldn't. Had to install fresh and I'm still wrestling with
getting the proper files from the backup tape so applications run again.
PITA. Major PITA!