[PLUG] Setting permissions for windows partition

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Sat Sep 7 22:15:52 UTC 2002

My Debian system is set up for dual boot, so there's a Windows 98
partition. I've included it in /etc/fstab so I can access it when
running Linux. When logged in as a user (same name and password as for
Win98) I find that the files are read only. When I su, the files become
r/w. To uncomplicate things, I thought I'd change the owner from root to
rsteff, but I find that changing the ownership of anything on the
windows partition is not permitted. Is this normal, or did I miss
something when I set up fstab?

Here's the pertinent line in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1	/mnt/windows	msdos	defaults		0	2

As I re-read man fstab and man mount, I don't see any specific mention
of defaults. Do I have to specify that I want the system mounted as
read/write? Or, do I have to specifically allow user to mount the
system?

I can always get around the problem by working on those files as root,
but that seems wrong.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens