[PLUG] Access and Samba

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Sun Sep 8 00:22:04 UTC 2002

In theory it sounds reasonable- but this is Access we're dealing with. It's
their customer order database, so no funky solutions permitted!

I found there are utilities to convert .mdb to PostgreSQL and mySQL, that
sounds way better to me. Use Access only as a front-end on the client PCs.

Carla

On Saturday 07 September 2002 09:51 am, you wrote:
> Carla,
>
> I haven't shared one with samba, but I think it shouldn't be too hard. I
> would try just putting the db on the linux box and setting the samba
> share for the directory its in then see what happens. Or another way
> might be to set a small Fat32 partition on the linux box to hold the DB
> and sharing that. The biggest problem I could see would be if multiple
> people were accessing the db at one time. I have had problems wih
> that even on Windows platforms.
>

> Good Luck and let us know what happens.
>
> RAy
>
> On 7 Sep 2002, at 9:07, Carla Schroder wrote:
> > Any brave souls out there try sharing an Access database via Samba? I
> > have a client who has a large number of custom order forms (Visual basic
> > of course) in Access. He is retiring his NT4 server, and replacing it
> > with Linux. The Linux box will be a domain controller, file server, and
> > email server with Postfix. (Firewall is a separate Snapgear box)

<snip>