[PLUG] Sparc 20 Console

todd.sarratt todd.sarratt at attbi.com
Sun Sep 8 01:56:18 UTC 2002

Caveat : I am a computer idiot.  But I can troubleshoot the bejesus out of a T1.

Got me a Sparc 20 with no keyboard / monitor / etc.  It's got a CD-ROM.  I bought it out of the back of a van, or something.

Looking at the back on the CPU (from left to right) there's a power switch and some power connections.  A stamp of serial numbers .

Then the top row has a blank space with a filler plate.  Next slot has what looks like a parallel port with a symbol over it that's a diamond with a line coming out of the east side (or 0 deg on a cartesian plane etc.)  Next to that is a RJ-45 plug labelled TP <...> with the dots being vertically centered.  Next slot is empty with a filler plate.

Middle row has three empty slots, one is covered with a plate and the other two are gaping dust sucking holes.

Bottom row has a funky port with pins and what look almost like small RCA connectors.  That's the video?  Labelled |O|
Next to that is a 25 pin female serial connector labelled A/B.  Next to that is a circular 8 pin female labelled | |  | |.
2nd card slot has two female ports stacked atop each other, they're thin like USB ports but with 30 or so square holes each.  Labelled // / <...>  Next port is an RJ45 labelled <...>
Third slot looks like another parallel port and has that diamond with a line label.  Next to that are 4 headphone jack type connections.

(P.S.  Taking donations for a digital camera.)

So the real meat here : I want to console into the beast.

How do I console into it?  I got a Windows box which I figure I'll run Hyperterm or something off COM1 and hook a 9 pin female connector into the port labelled |O|O| A/1.  The other end of the cable goes into... the A/B slot on the Sparc?  Straight serial or null modem?

I spent about an hour searching through Google newsgroups and finding conflicting or unhelpful info.

Thanks!
Todd