[PLUG] Getting to runlevel 1 with GRUB

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 8 19:41:19 UTC 2002

On 8 Sep 2002, Chris Emery wrote:

> If you are unable to boot and edit the grub menu list, the easiest/best
> way to do it is to type "e" on the line that you want to edit, and then
> edit the kernel line so that it has single at the end of it.  Then you
> just boot (by hitting b I think), and you should be set.

Chris,

  I recovered root's password so that crisis passed. Of course, I didn't
realize that sendmail was the default and not postfix, so after booting my
mail system was down. Only took me an hour to figure out the problem and fix
it. :-)

  So, I can edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and add the ability? I didn't see that
on the man page. Would it be something like this?

title single user
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hda1 single

?

Thanks,