[PLUG] On to the next problem: VMware

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 8 21:56:29 UTC 2002

On Sun, 8 Sep 2002, David Fleck wrote:

> Hmmm... on my (admittedly ancient, non-RH) system, I've got:
> >$ ls /usr/src/linux/include
> asm        asm-generic  asm-mips  asm-sparc    linux     scsi
> asm-alpha  asm-i386     asm-ppc   asm-sparc64  math-emu  video
> asm-arm    asm-m68k     asm-s390  config       net

  I mistyped, David. That's where they are on my system, too, but this is
what I see when I run /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl:

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your running kernel. Do
you want this script to try to build the vmmon module for your system (you need
to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] yes

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] (I pressed [Enter] here.)

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is an existing directory, but it does not
contain at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

and, /usr/src/linux/include has:

[root at salmo /usr/src/linux/include]# ls
asm-alpha/    asm-i386/  asm-mips64/  asm-s390x/    linux/     scsi/
asm-arm/      asm-ia64/  asm-parisc/  asm-sh/       math-emu/  video/
asm-cris/     asm-m68k/  asm-ppc/     asm-sparc/    net/
asm-generic/  asm-mips/  asm-s390/    asm-sparc64/  pcmcia/

  Could this be due the older version of VMware I have installed not
recognizing the newer layout? There are "linux" and "net" there, even if
there isn't a vanilla "asm".

  Any suggestions where to go now?

Thanks,