[PLUG] CUPS: configuring client workstation

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 9 14:36:36 UTC 2002

  It's been two years since I replaced lpr with CUPS and I cannot find just
how I configured the networked client to recognize the remote print server
and send jobs to it. I hope that someone here will help.

  Easy Software's news server shows no groups so I cannot ask for help there.
And their support is now focused on the enterprise and I don't want to pay
$250 to get this information.

  CUPS is installed on that workstation and the process is running. In
/etc/cups/client.conf I tell it that the server is salmo.appl-ecosys.com and
to use encryption only if requested. In /etc/printcap are the two lines:

color:
laser5:

as these are the CUPS names for the printers that are directly attached to
the print server, across the network. Both these files exist on the print
server, too.

  I don't have printpro installed on the client. Should I? There is no
/usr/sbin/printers that would permit users to select the printer to use for
a job. The documentation suggests that if /etc/cups/client.conf exists the
software will automagically configure itself and work. It isn't.

  I've read the SAM (Software Administrators Manaual) without finding
anything I didn't report above. I'm not sure where else I might find the
information I need.

Thanks,