[PLUG] Dual booting

Jason Dagit dagit at engr.orst.edu
Mon Sep 9 20:31:47 UTC 2002

I know that win9x/NT are supposed to be booted off /dev/hda, but has
anyone here been able to get them to boot from /dev/hdb?  I would like
to move my win98 partition to /dev/hdb1 (it is /dev/hda3 now) and then
upgrade it to win2k.  So far, I have been unable to make win98 boot
from /dev/hdb1.  Here are some of the things I have tried:

1. Telling GRUB to swap /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1 so that windows would
   think it is on the first partition of the first hard drive.  All I
   get is funny characters when I try to boot.

2. Setting my bios to boot from /dev/hdb1, with and without option [1]
   at the same time.  Same results as [1].

3. Putting in the win98 CD and booting from that.

I don't think it is a problem with the boot loader.  After I moved the
data to a new partition I did option [1] and then did fdisk /mbr.

Anyone know of a bootloader that can be used in place of the windows
boot loader?

What about win2k, I'm having trouble finding information that is
specfic to win2k.  Or is all of this just an exercise is futility and
I should give up, and put the data back on to /dev/hda?

Thanks,
Jason