[PLUG] RPM question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 9 19:17:27 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Don Buchholz wrote:

> Well the RPM-only world would have you add the "--nodeps" option to rpm(8)
> to bypass the dependency check during installation.

Don,

  I use the "--nodeps" option to install packages when the dependencies are
really there. But, "apt-get" is digging in its feet and refusing to go out
to the repositories and get the files because of the apparent unfulfilled
dependencies. _That's_ the problem I'm trying to solve.

> Paul Heinlein recently posted this beauty of a work-around on the RPM
> list ...
>
> https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/private/rpm-list/2002-September/016348.html
>
> It outlines how to create a "virtual" RPM package, where the RPM doesn't
> contain any actual files, but uses the SPEC file "%Provides" directive to
> load the RPM database with entries which will satisfy those dependency
> checks.

  I'll give this a shot. Thanks very much.