[PLUG] Building Kernel for Debian

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Tue Sep 10 00:07:03 UTC 2002

I guess I didn't have the right directions:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Kernel-HOWTO.html#ss1.1

or didn't follow them. Here's what I did:

Unpacked the 2.4.18 kernel in /usr/src/
made a link to it called linux
Copied /boot/config-2.2.20 to /usr/src/linux/.config
cd linux
make menuconfig
	I looked at a number of things, but didn't change anything, and saved
before leaving.
make dep
make clean
nohup make bzImage &
tail -f nohup.out
	I watched this until it stopped
make modules
make modules_install

I copied bzImage to /boot/bzImage/myker.20020909.1600, and added this to
lilo.conf:

# kernel compiled on September 9, 2002
#
image=/boot/bzImage.myker.20020909.1600
	label=myker
	root=/dev/hda2
	read-only

Then, I ran lilo and lilo -q and re-booted. Now, when I select myker
from lilo's menu, the system starts to load, but evenutally bogs down
with a lot of this message:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module net-pf-1

As promised, I can continue to boot to the old kernel, and things appear
to work fine. Is there another set of instructions I should have been
following? What did I miss?

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards,