[PLUG] truetype font help

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue Sep 10 13:22:15 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Dean S. Messing wrote:

> I've followed the TTF installation instructions in the latter
> document to the letter (as far as I know).  I restart xfs, do `xset
> fp rehash' (which I got from the former doc---may not be needed) and
> bring up "gfontsel".
>
> I see the names of the M$ TTF fonts.  For example, there's Tahoma
> and "trebuchet ms" and "ms outhouse" (I mean "outlook").
>
> But when I click on any of them (say Tahoma) I get
>
> "The selected font is not available"
>
> in the window where the font should display.

It sounds like you've tried everything I would, but just in case
there's a detail missing, here's what has worked for me (Red
Hat 7.x, XFree86 4.x):

* copy .ttf files into /usr/share/fonts/default/TrueType

* cd into that directory and do

  /usr/bin/ttmkfdir -o fonts.scale
  /bin/cp fonts.scale fonts.dir

* restart xfs