[PLUG] GRub + Win98

Derek Loree derek at infotects.com
Tue Sep 10 17:20:39 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 22:57, Rogan Creswick wrote:
> Follow the thread started by Jason Dagit above ("Dual booting"), then swap
> harddrives so win98 is on hda to save trouble ;)
>
> (to my knowledge you can not boot Win98 from any drive that is preceded by a
> non-fat filesystem. In most cases this means only hda1 will boot win98. I
> would love to be proven wrong however.)

Technically, the one partition (and only one) that has the "boot" flag
set is the only partition that will boot win98, it shouldn't matter
which IDE port the drive is plugged into.  However this seems to be
dependent on the BIOS's ability to recognize and properly initiate the
boot loader so, YMMV.  FYI, I have accidentally booted win98 from the
secondary-master IDE port because the drive I had setup (with a fresh
install of 98) on the primary didn't have the boot flag set.

Good Luck

Derek