[PLUG] Kernel size?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Tue Sep 10 17:29:36 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 13:43, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Keith Morse wrote:
>
> > My understanding of kernel image naming it that it can be whatever you
> > want just as long as everything that references it uses that same name.
> > The grub entry, the link /boot/vmlinuz, and others.  I don't think the
> > name is used for kernel version identification as that comes from the
> > kernel itself.
>
>   I believe that you're correct, Keith.
>
>   The link, vmliuuz, points to vmlinuz-2.4.19, but with earlier kernels,
> I've seen vmlinux (with an 'x') linked to a vmlinuz (with a 'z') file.
>
> > Theoretically you could have "Richs-happy-linux-kernel" for a file name.
>
>   Sure. And I'd type that in a couple of seconds, too.

You can do anything with the kernel you want to....

For instance, my current Kernel is w4l2419 ... after I re-do my system
here in the next week or so, it'll probably change names to
w4l2419preempt ...  :-)

The name of the file isn't important at all.

--
Rob
 "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose