[PLUG] VMware and the 2.4.19 kernel

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Tue Sep 10 17:37:16 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 15:25, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Interesting. The only apps I run in the virtual-win98 (which has speed
> improvements over the virtual-win95 I ran for a few years) are the GPS
> software and an old copy (1998 was when I stopped upgrading) of MapInfo.
>
>   I've no need for USB, W2K, XP or other support and I run these apps only
> occaionally. Actually, if they're slow I just shrink the window and go do
> something else. :-)
>
>   But, I may have to spend the money. I didn't last spring when they had all
> the discounts; may cost me more now.

Win4Lin is currently on-sale for something like $60.  It might be worth
looking in to.

I have both Win4Lin and VMWare 3.x on here.  There's no competition at
all between speed.  Win4Lin is about a billion times faster than VMWare.

However, VMWare has better video support than Win4Lin.  A flash-based
application I'm testing for somebody wont' work in W4L, it causes a BSOD
(BSODs in Linux!  Oh my!) and crashes.  It works fine in VMWare, albeit
slower than snot.

Just wanted to toss in my two cents.... you can get trial versions of
W4L if you fill out their support webpage with a request.

--
Rob
 "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose