[PLUG] VMware and the 2.4.19 kernel

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 10 15:14:12 UTC 2002

On 10 Sep 2002, AthlonRob wrote:

> Win4Lin is currently on-sale for something like $60.  It might be worth
> looking in to.

Rob,

  I've read good things about win4lin from Dean, too.

> I have both Win4Lin and VMWare 3.x on here.  There's no competition at
> all between speed.  Win4Lin is about a billion times faster than VMWare.

  My concern would have been converting everything from one virtual machine
to another. It would be a serious time commitment to move all my data off
the vm, replace it, re-install the guest OS and the applications, configure
the one application, then move my data back. Ugh!

  I went ahead and purchased the VMware-3.1.1 upgrade. A quick test shows
that it _should_ work as before. Tomorrow I need to modify and print some
maps so I'll know for certain if there's no problems.

  The last piece is re-installing WordPerfec/8 for linux. But, the original
cdrom is not in the holders with every other cdrom I have. I'll try to find
a copy of that or, if need be, a copy of Corel Office/2k just to get a
working WP in linux for all my data files. The less desireable, but
ultimately workable, solution would be to put a copy of WP/win in vmware and
move all my data over. I shudder to think of the time committment to
translate 9 years of WP docs to something modern!

  Anyone have an installable WP/8 for linux? I had the server edition, but
the individual one would work, too.

Thanks,