[PLUG] Building Kernel for Debian

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Tue Sep 10 19:02:49 UTC 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 08:50:49AM -0700, Richard Langis wrote:

> Usually, I'll configure the kernel, then - all in ONE line:
>
> make dep modules bzImage modules_install install

I've verry rarely had this work (chaining make commands)

usually I do this:

make dep && make -j3 bzImage && make -j3 modules && make modules_install &&
make install

which nearly always works, when the shorter line above does not. It may be
that I was doing this:

make -j3 dep bzImage modules ...

but I cannot check at the moment. Does anyone know if the parralelization
switch (-j) would cause issues with a kernel compile in this way?
	(apollogies for not having error messages handy at the moment)

-Rogan