[PLUG] dosemu & wine

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 10 23:42:16 UTC 2002

On 10 Sep 2002, AthlonRob wrote:

> DOSEMU is kinda dead, or close to it, I think.  I don't know about Wine
> mailing lists... the FreeDOS mailing lists, however, will often handle
> DOSEMU questions (in my experience) ...

Rob,

  Shucks, that's too bad.

> Ok... DOSEMU and WinE are two totally different things.  DOSEMU boots up
> DOS inside a sorta-virtualized machine.  You run DOS (MS-DOS, FreeDOS,
> PC-DOS, whatever) inside a window.  It is *slower than hell* ...

  Since I have only one really useful DOS app left -- there is no linux
replacement I've found in five years of searching -- I've not noticed any
speed issues. It's done well by me. But, I do believe that wine will run it
so that's OK with me.

> If you do have Windows installed somewhere accessable to your system,
> you can tell Wine to work from there... this will allow any needed files
> to be more easily found.

  I had to buy a full install of win98 a few years ago because the upgrade
from win95 would not work in vmware. I didn't wnat to do it, but I promised
myself it would be the last money Microsoft got out of me. So, the only
Windows here is a guest OS in the vmware partition, and not accessible
except through vmware. A few years ago, I read of a way to access data in
that binary file from linux, but I've no idea if that's still true or would
be useful under wine.

> That's because you don't do that.  DOSEMU boots, Wine doesn't.  Win98
> sucks as far as Wine goes... if you want to have Wine work with a
> pre-existing installation of whatever, I strongly suggest you go with
> Windows 2000 ... if not Win2K, then NT 4.0 or XP.  How to get them
> there?  You could use VMWare, I think....

  I'm not at all concerned with speed. This is just a test to see if a
particular app runs. I've no intention of ugrading to that version in any
case, but this is just an experiment. If it works, I bet we'll see a _lot_
of people defenestrating and running this application over wine. Of course,
their other needs could be met by OO and other native linux apps. They can
buy w2k, nt, xp or whatever they want.

> I hope that answered a few questions for ya.  :-)

  Yup. Thanks very much. More reading and research is in order.