[PLUG] dosemu & wine

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Wed Sep 11 03:45:15 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 17:12, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > > DOSEMU is kinda dead, or close to it, I think.  I don't know about Wine
> > > mailing lists... the FreeDOS mailing lists, however, will often handle
> > > DOSEMU questions (in my experience) ...
>
> Rob,
>
>   OTOH, I just about have my ol' DOS app running under winecosole! And
> that's with no tweaking of ~/.wine/wine.conf at all. Wow!

Cool!  Now I wonder if I can get my old Master of Magic game working
under there.............

That's all I really want, is my MoM!  MoO2 would be nice, too.

> > > That's because you don't do that.  DOSEMU boots, Wine doesn't.  Win98
> > > sucks as far as Wine goes... if you want to have Wine work with a
> > > pre-existing installation of whatever, I strongly suggest you go with
> > > Windows 2000 ... if not Win2K, then NT 4.0 or XP.  How to get them
> > > there?  You could use VMWare, I think....
>
>   I'm finding bits and pieces of wine docs dribbled all over the place. Will
> read more tomorrow. But, wine does NOT need to have any OS installed! And,
> we can specify what flavor of Windows to emulate (or MS/PC-DOS up to 6.22).
> The Winders versions are 2.0, 3.0, 3.11, 95, 98, w2k, me, xp, nt3.51 or nt4.
> I may have forgotten some.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you had to have Windows... you most
definitly don't!  I generally run Wine without Windows... it works
better by itself than it does with Win98SE, IMHO.

You've been to winehq.org, right?  :-)

>   This may also be a way for Carla's client to use Access on a linux box.

No, not really.  Wine doesn't run Access.  Codeweavers CrossoverOffice,
when last I looked, said access sorta worked, but not well.  Access is
just too complex for Wine to easily run it right now.

--
Rob
 "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose