[PLUG] Evolution and mail spools

Michael Montagne montagne at boora.com
Wed Sep 11 16:39:57 UTC 2002

>On 10/09/02, from the brain of AthlonRob tumbled:

> On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 22:08, Sean Whitney wrote:
> > I've been wanting to use Evolution for a mail client for a while.
> >
> > I set it up for my wife and she loves it.  However I am using local mail
> > spools that are NFS mounted and I could never get it to check mail without
> > a locking complaint.
> >
> > Tonight I decided to check again and with googles help found.
> >
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-redhat-list/2001-November/msg00020.html
> >
> > The comments at the bottom
> >
> > > 	# chown root.mail /usr/sbin/camel-lock-helper
> > > 	# chmod g+s /usr/sbin/camel-lock-helper
> >
> > Did the trick!
> >
> > So now I'm going to try and migrate from Kmail to evolution.
>
> I switched from KMail to Sylpheed to Evolution.  Aside from its (IMHO)
> broken PGP/GPG handling, I'm starting to like it.
>
> One thing you might think about is compiling it from source.  It was
> really an oinker here... taking a good 10-15 seconds to load up.
>
> Now it takes closer to five or six seconds.
>
> Here are the flags I used in its compile:
> CFLAGS="-O3 -s -funroll-loops -ffast-math -mcpu=i686 -march=i386
> -fno-exceptions -fschedule-insns2 -fexpensive-optimizations"
> CXXFLAGS="-O3 -s -mcpu=i686 -march=i386"
> LIBCFLAGS="-O3 -s -mcpu=i686 -march=i386"
> BOOT_CFLAGS="-O3 -s -mcpu=i686 -march=i386"
>
> ...if you're interested.  :-)

I tried Evo for a bit and became frustrated that it moved my mail.  I
already use procmail to put it where it should go.  Kmail just reads the
same files that mutt reads, so I have a choice and can try each out.
Evo moved everything to it's own directory.  Kind of intrusive, I
thought.  And it just isn't snappy enough for my tastes either.  I ended
up back with mutt.  The other thing it can't do that is important to me
is auto-delete old emails from mailing lists.
my $.02.

--
  Michael Montagne  [montagne at boora.com]   503.226.1575