[PLUG] dev fs and permission problem

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at pdxlinux.org
Wed Sep 11 18:53:18 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 15:20, Rogan Creswick wrote:
>  Since flashing my BIOS last week (Tyan Tiger MPX mobo) I have had problems
>  with permissions on various devices. /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer, and /dev/ttyS1
>  at the least have had their permissions changed, such that a normal user
>  can no longer make use of them. (/dev/ttyS1 has all rx perms, but no one can
>  write to it, the others I would have to reboot to check).
>
>  This is easily fixed with a chmod, however since I am using the
>  dev file system they revert to the undesired state when I reboot. Rather
>  than write a script to reset them at each boot I'd like to know how to
>  "correctly" fix the problem.
>
>  fwiw, I'm running Debian Sid, on 2.4.17 for x86.

RTFM "devfsd" -- /usr/share/doc/devfsd, man update-devfs, and look at
the conffiles in /etc/devfs/.

You can create /dev-state/, and enable the rules in the devfsd.conf that
turn that feature on.  It seems to work fairly well, aside from some
warning messages each time I reboot re devcices for which no driver is
loaded yet.