[PLUG] dircolors stored where?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at data.lm.ro
Wed Sep 11 18:55:04 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 11:35, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 10:34, Matt Alexander wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 09:58, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > >   Where is the text database shown when 'dircolors --print-database' is
> > > invoked? I need to change a color when directory listings are presented and
> > > I cannot seem to find the location of the database. It's not 'rgb' and the
> > > man page isn't helpful in this regard.
> >
> > On RedHat, I believe it's in /etc/DIR_COLORS
>
> Does the Red Hat version of "dircolors" read that automaticly, or is it
> pulled in by one of the shell startup files?

It is called by one of of the shell startup files.  In Slackware it is
/etc/profile:

# Set up the LS_COLORS and LS_OPTIONS environment variables for color
ls:
if [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/zsh" ]; then
 eval `dircolors -z`
elif [ "$SHELL" = "/bin/ash" ]; then
 eval `dircolors -s`
else
 eval `dircolors -b`
fi

You could put something similar in your ~/.bashrc file to be sure it is
called...

--
Rob
 "The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose