[PLUG] Re: rpms

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 11 20:16:21 UTC 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Dirk Ouellette wrote:

> # rpm -F *
> ethereal-gnome-0.9.4-0.7.3.0.i386.rpm: read manifest failed: Success
>
> That's my one answer to about 24 rpms I downloaded. Is this rpm blocking
> all of the others? Should I remove the ethereal rpms and try again?

  What that's telling you is that you don't have ethereal-gnome installed so
it cannot freshen the installation. Do "rpm -q ethereal-gnome" and you
should get no response. That query tells you the verion of the installed
package. For example:

[root at salmo /home/rshepard]# rpm -q ethereal
ethereal-0.9.6-0.73.0

(I don't do Gnome or KDE here.)

  Move the ethereal-gnome rpm someplace else and re-run your Freshen
command. Then you can install ethereal-gnome.

  Two other hints:

  1)  Add the 'vh' switches to the rpm command line and you'll get progress
reports (as hashes) and more verbose output.

  B)  Since Karl hasn't offered the suggestion, I will. :-) Get yourself a
copy of apt-rpm and install it. It's easy, quick and wonderfully useful.
Then you can 'apt-get install ...', 'apt-get update ...' and so on. Very
handy during the 7.3 upgrade here.