[PLUG] RedHat 7.3 doesn't have linuxconf. What replaces it?

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Thu Sep 12 00:21:03 UTC 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, David Mandel wrote:

> Hey,
>
>     I just noticed that Red Hat has dropped linuxconf.
> What are they using instead?  kontrol-panel?
> kontrol-panel is ok, but it certainly isn't has complete as SuSE's yast2.
> And of course it runs in X, so it assumes that I have a X server
> somewhere.
>
>     So how do most people configure Red Hat?  With a sysadmin front
> end like kontrol-panel or webmin or by editing the configuration
> files with vi (or emacs)?

RedHat does provide gui tools (X based only) for system management.
Enigma's iteration was really disappointing compared to the functionality
of linuxconf.  Valhalla's is better and supposedly the beta (Null) is
greatly improved.  The tools start with "redhat-config-" and you can get a
quick listing (if they are installed of course) by entering it on the
command line and pressing tab a couple of times.