[PLUG] Developement rpms

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Sep 12 13:53:37 UTC 2002

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Dirk Ouellette wrote:

> And now once again. How do, get all of the developement rpms off
> disc 2 of RedHat 7.3 so I can ./configure? I got the ist 2 RH discs
> w/o the 3rd and had trouble installing till I ignored the
> developement rpms. I've now downloaded the 3rd disc .iso's and will
> install them, but I need xcdroast and can't ./config it w/o the
> developement rpms. Dirk

Dirk,

The answer to your question depends to a large extent on the list of
packages you've already installed (or not installed) on your system.

Do you remember when you were installing Red Hat and you were given a
list of package groups from which to choose: Base, Printing Support, X
Window System, etc.?

A good way to get an idea of what packages you may or may not need is
to look at the "Software Development" package listing. You can do this
by poking around disk 1. Look for RedHat/base/comps. It's just a text
file, and it's fairly easy to understand (I think). Search down until
you see the "Software Development" listing. It'll look like this:

  0 Software Development {
    ? X Window System {
      Glide3-devel
    }
    ? Printing Support {
      VFlib2-devel
    }
    autoconf
    autoconf253
    automake
    automake15
    zlib-devel
  }

The "? X Window System" line means, "if we're installing the X Window
System package group, then install these rpms; otherwise, skip them."
There are quite a few of those conditional blocks before you get to
the base list of development rpms (starting with 'autoconf').

Anyway, that list from autoconf to zlib-devel ought to be a good
starting point. Install those packages and work from there.

Good luck.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>