[PLUG] Setting the time properly

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 12 13:17:48 UTC 2002

On 12 Sep 2002, AthlonRob wrote:

> You set it to UTC=True if your hardware clock is set to UTC and you want
> the operating system to account for that and subtract eight hours from
> what the hardware clock reads to tell you what time it is.  How is that
> for a long sentance?  :-)

Rob,

  This is what I thought and what I want. I didn't see an option to hwclock
to set the time zone. Well, ... forget the Hardware Clock, that's not the
one that matters anyway.

  I've just reread both 'man date' and 'info date' and cannot see an example
of how to set the timezone properly. When I type the date command I get the
proper time -- but in the EDT zone -- and my desktop clock show 3 hours
earlier.

  How to I get the system clock to recognize that we're in the Pacific time
zone?

Thanks,