[PLUG] Setting the time properly

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Sep 12 16:31:45 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
> > 2. ensure that /etc/localtime == /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific; you
> >    can copy the latter to the former if they differ
>
>   /etc/localtime is a binary here. Could that be the problem?

No: timezone files are binary. You ought to be able to use diff to
tell if the files are the same, e.g.,

  diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific

If they are different, it'd be worth trying

  diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

just to make sure that your current EDT timestamp is the result of an
understandable error.

If you want to be in the Pacific timezone (not necessarily a given: I
know you folks out in Gresham have weather patterns the differ
somewhat significantly from those in the rest of the Willamette and
Columbia valleys, so maybe a new timezone is appropriate too :-), then
just

  cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific /etc/localtime

and go ahead with the process I outlined in an earlier message.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>