[PLUG] Setting the time properly

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 12 16:28:57 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> 1. shut down ntpd
>
> 2. ensure that /etc/localtime == /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific; you
>    can copy the latter to the former if they differ
>
> 3. run "ntpdate" against a time server you trust
>
> 4. run "/sbin/hwclock --localtime --systohc" to get the hardware clock
>    in sync
>
> 5. restart ntpd

  Wow! That's magnificent, Paul! It worked like a charm.

  I copied the binary /etc/localtime to a backup form, put the string
'/usr/share/timezoneinfo/US/Pacific' in it and followed the rest of the
instructions. The only part that was slightly disconcering was running
'/usr/sbin/npdate npt.nasa.gov' and having the entire screen instantly go
black -- no cursor or anything. Then, of course, it came back up and all's
right again with the world.

  Wadda' hassle! I've no idea how it got clobbered the way it did.

Many thanks,