[PLUG] Setting the time properly

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 12 16:55:24 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> No: timezone files are binary. You ought to be able to use diff to
> tell if the files are the same, e.g.,

  OK. I put it back the way it was.

>   diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific
>
> If they are different, it'd be worth trying
>
>   diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

  Yup. That's it. /etc/localtime is set to Eastern.

> If you want to be in the Pacific timezone (not necessarily a given: I
> know you folks out in Gresham have weather patterns the differ
> somewhat significantly from those in the rest of the Willamette and
> Columbia valleys, so maybe a new timezone is appropriate too :-), then
> just

  Actually, I'm in Troutdale which is closer to eastern Oregon than to the
Portland. There's a sign at the city limits that reads, "Welcome to
Troutdale. Please set your watch back 50 years."

>   cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific /etc/localtime

  Aha! I hadn't looked in the Pacific file. That's binary, too.

  Whew!

  As I wrote before, this upgrade has been an absolute nightmare compared
with everything I've gone through before. I do hope that's the end of it --
except getting VMware running properly again. Gotta' go reconfigure it for
the sixth time. Sigh.

Thanks!