[PLUG] Re: rpms

Tyler F. Creelan creelan at engr.orst.edu
Thu Sep 12 18:28:49 UTC 2002

> Well, when using pgp, you're using a public/private keypair. What this
> means is that (in theory) the only way to trojan the files would be to
> get the key Redhat uses to sign the RPMs they release.

In theory you could also introduce your trojan in such
a way that the modified rpm hashes to the same value. While not yet
practical for MD5, such techniques for eliciting collisions and
pseudo-collisions have been shown:

Dobbertin, H. (1996). "The Status of Md5 After a Recent
Attack," RSA Laboratories' CryptoBytes, Volume 2, Number 2.
ftp://ftp.rsasecurity.com/pub/cryptobytes/crypto2n2.pdf

Tyler

Tyler F. Creelan
College of Engineering
Oregon State University