[PLUG] DVD Player

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 04:39:07 UTC 2002

--- Russ Johnson <russj at dimstar.net> wrote:
> Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

> for anything in the

The main flurry of activity came on Aug. 8:

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Robert Kopp wrote:
> What is the best player to use for playing DVD
movies
> on Linux? I have Caldera OpenLinux, so it should not
> be distribution-specific unless for Caldera.
> (Compiling from source is, of course, not
distribution-specific.)

I use MPlayer (the cvs snapshot is usually quite good
-- nothing
pre-0.95
is worthwhile for DVDs in my opinion).  It's pretty
freakin' stable.

The dvdnav library appears to be sought by the
configure script, but I
haven't determined whether or not MPlayer can actualy
use it.

I also use Ogle, which fully supports DVD menu
navigation.  However, my
experience with Ogle is that it is slightly unstable,
a little bit slow
sometimes, and can just halt in the middle of a scene
and not recover,
all
the while displaying a single frame of the video
without error.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."